Vermont 50 Mile Run

Vermont 50 from The Endurables on Vimeo.

This was a tough one.  There are no “official” maps of this race so I’ve tried to put together bits of information to build this flyover.

To give you an idea of the challenge, The map below is one I found while trolling the internet.  It looks like a Pirate’s Treasure Map.

Vermont 50 "Official" Map

Vermont 50 "Official" Map

The Vermont 50 route has runners traveling over a lot of private property which may be a reason organizers have not published an course map.

The Race Website is: http://www.vermont50.com/

The 50 Mile course is open to runners, bikers and offers a relay option.

A 50K route is also available.

[umap id=”39564″ tp=”6″ size=”l” alignment=”center”]

Posted in Montrail Ultra Cup, Ultra Tagged with: ,
7 comments on “Vermont 50 Mile Run
  1. Stew says:

> The Vermont 50 travels over a lot of private property which
    > may be a reason organizers have not published an course map.

Yes, that’s exactly why we don’t publish the course map. We have had a bit of trouble with people pre-riding or running our courses (the other is the Vermont 100), which causes grief to some property owners.

BTW, the map listed here is old.

2. Stew says:

Oh, and thanks for the write-up!

3. admin says:

Well you Vermont 50 participants, let’s keep this race going and not pre-run the course! After all, it’s just a run on a trail….hopefully you’re done that and not knowing the course is part of the allure of this race.

I developed the flyover from a GPS file a participant provided from last years course, the jpg map, and the race website….it may not be completely accurate, but I bet it is close.

4. Peter says:

The map image looks accurate, at least for the 2001 edition.
    In fact it looks like the scan I posted to my old geocities website after my 2001 run of the VT50. Funny to see it come full circle.

Great course fly-over.

Ran VT50 3 times; this year I wimp out and will do it on 2-wheels.
    I used to pass as many bikes as possible while running; this year I’ll try not to get passed by any runners :) but if you do pass me, say “Hi”

5. Jamie says:

Thanks, That fly over is really cool…

How hard is it to do? If you get a chance could you do one for the 50 miler at the Pineland Farms race..

Thanks Again,

Jamie

6. admin says:

How do I do it? First the actual trail I gather gps, USGS Maps, and other data and combine it to create the route. Then the hard part is making Google Earth fly the way I want it to….that takes time. One flyover can take 8 – 15 hours of work depending on how “anal retentive” I get.

My Google Earth Pro license is expired so I have to come up with $400 to continue doing these movies. I guess I’ll put a donation box on this blog and can then look into the Pineland Farms race…or perhaps I’ll just find a major sponsor. HINT HINT.

7. Jared says:

Give our technology a try and see if it fits. We have a 3D application that will allow you to create interactive 3D maps to add to your website. Additionally you can create waypoints of a route and save them to create a Tour. This created tour could be captured from the screen and distributed as a movie if you would like. If you have any questions email info@geodatatechnologies.com.
    or visit http://siteseer3d.com to take it for a test flight.